Wed. Dec 6th, 2023

In response to the growing concern over the proper disposal of medical sharps, Grand Forks Public Health has announced a new location for community members to drop off their needles. Sharps, which are classified as hazardous waste, cannot be disposed of in regular trash. The new drop-off facility at the Grand Forks Withdrawal Management Center on 207 S. 4th St. is designed to prevent future hazards by keeping sharps out of the trash.

The opioid response coordinator for Grand Forks Public Health, Michael Dulitz, explained that this initiative will help reduce the risk of bloodborne pathogens in the community and provide a safer way to dispose of sharps. To ensure safe disposal, containers must be placed in sturdy plastic containers that can be purchased at Inspire Pharmacy for less than $3. The pharmacy is located around the block from the sharps disposal site at 360 Division Ave. #100.

The drop-off facility is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week for containers under five quarts. Larger quantities can be given to withdrawal management center staff between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. It’s important to note that sharps generated by commercial entities are not accepted at the drop-off location. This new drop-off facility has replaced the Altru Hospital drop-off that is currently closed due to construction. The program is supported by Grand Forks Public Health, Altru, Inspire Pharmacy, and Spectra Health.

This new drop-off initiative is an important step in preventing sharps from being improperly disposed of in regular trash. It provides a convenient, safe and responsible way for community members to dispose of their sharps while also aligning with efforts to reduce the risk of bloodborne pathogens in the community ultimately contributing to a safer and healthier environment for everyone in the Grand Forks area.

In conclusion, Grand Forks Public Health’s new sharp drop-off initiative provides a safe and convenient way for community members to dispose of their medical needles while reducing potential hazards caused by improper disposal in regular trash cans

By Editor

Leave a Reply