At the conclusion of the negotiations, UN Girls Executive Director, Sima Bahous, stated: “This year’s Agreed Conclusions are game-altering and bring forward our vision of a a lot more equal and connected globe for ladies and girls in all their diversity. It is our job, as we leave right here nowadays, to translate them into reality. The ultimate achievement of these Agreed Conclusions lies beyond their finalization nowadays, in how we will collectively take them forward. They bring us a vision of a a lot more equal globe. Let us translate them into reality for all ladies and girls.”
CSW67 reaffirmed the significance of ladies and girls’ complete, equal and meaningful participation and leadership in science, technologies and innovation, and expressed concern on the restricted progress in closing the gender gap in access to and use of technologies, connectivity, digital literacy and education. It also expressed grave concern about the continuity and interrelation among offline and on the internet violence, harassment and discrimination against ladies and girls and condemned the boost of such acts.
The Commission named for considerably improved public and private sector investments to bridge the gender digital divide, a lot more inclusive innovation eco-systems, and the promotion of secure and gender-responsive technologies and innovation. It also named for inclusive and equitable excellent education in science, technologies, engineering, and mathematics, information and facts and communications technologies and digital literacy to assure that all ladies and girls can thrive in a quickly altering globe.
Initiatives to market innovation and technological adjust, and education in the digital age for reaching gender equality have to look at the following:
- Create digital tools and solutions to address the demands of all ladies and girls, across sectors and geographies, specifically for their education, well being, financial empowerment and engagement in public life, and assure ladies and girls have access to digital literacy and expertise all through their life course.
- Mainstream gender in digital policies to get rid of barriers to equal access for all ladies and girls, such as these living in poverty, in rural, maritime or remote locations, with disabilities, Indigenous ladies and girls, migrant ladies and girls, and older ladies.
- Foster a policy of zero tolerance for gender-primarily based violence that happens via or is amplified by the use of technologies and assure that public and private sector entities prioritize its prevention and elimination.
- Mainstream a gender viewpoint in the design and style of emerging technologies and adopt regulations to assure they are topic to sufficient safeguards to combat new dangers, gender stereotypes and damaging social norms, information privacy breaches and enhance transparency and accountability.
- Market policies and programmes to obtain gender parity in emerging scientific and technological fields and make supportive workplaces and education settings, such as via gender-responsive education, distance mastering options and interdisciplinary approaches combining the teaching of social sciences and scientific fields.
- Create gender-responsive innovation that challenges gender stereotypes and damaging social norms, including via the improvement of digital content material, awareness campaigns and teaching competencies for constructive engagement on digital technologies that engage, educate, encourage and empowers youth, such as young males and boys, to come to be agents of adjust for gender equality.
The 67th session of the Commission on the Status of Girls took spot against the backdrop of continued backlash against women’s rights globally, from improved violence against ladies in the public space, to the gender impacts of the earthquakes in Syria and Turkiye, to the day-to-day horror that ladies and girls face in emergency and crisis settings such as in Afghanistan, Ukraine and Iran.
In the very first completely in-particular person session following 3 years of the COVID-19 pandemic, CSW67 registered quite higher numbers with a lot more than 7,000 participants, such as four heads of state and government and 116 ministers, 205 side events on UN premises, and about 700 NGO parallel events.
For the very first time, the session integrated an interactive youth session with young folks, youth representatives of delegations, civil society and United Nations organizations , engaging in dialogue and offering suggestions on how to assure young ladies and girls are component of the digital transformation. The Commission also benefited from vital contributions from a wide variety of civil society organizations such as the leaders and commitment makers of the Action Coalition on Technologies and Innovation for Gender Equality, launched as component of the Generation Equality Forum. The Action Coalition on Technologies and Innovation for Gender Equality has produced a important contribution in cementing alliances among Governments, private sector, civil society and the UN program and in driving momentum and commitments to advance gender equality via technologies and innovation.
One thought on “Press release: UN Commission on the Status of Girls reaffirms the function of technologies and innovation, and education in the digital age in accelerating gender equality”